Owner Cancellation Policy
RVshare Owner and Fleet Cancellation Policy
Last Updated: May 11, 2021
Because cancellations disrupt renters' plans and impact confidence in the RVshare community, these standards are intended to ensure that both our Owners and Renters have a positive experience on the RVshare platform.
If a cancellation is unavoidable, Owners must contact the Renter as soon as reasonably possible to inform them of the cancellation and cancel the reservation within the RVshare Owner dashboard.
Owners can cancel reservations without negative consequences when there are extenuating circumstances, the renter has or cannot meet the owner’s rules or agreement, or something beyond their control prevents completion of the reservation. In determining whether the consequences should be waived, we may consider relevant factors including how timely the owner cancelled the reservation after becoming aware of the extenuating circumstance.
Extenuating circumstances should be considered unavoidable. Circumstances considered unavoidable include:
- Changes to government travel requirements. Unexpected changes to visa or passport requirements imposed by a governmental agency that prevent travel to the destination. This doesn’t include lost or expired travel documents.
- Declared emergencies and epidemics. Government declared local or national emergencies, epidemics, pandemics, and public health emergencies.
- Government travel restrictions. Travel restrictions imposed by a governmental agency that prevent or prohibit traveling to, staying at, or returning from the booking location.
- Military actions and other hostilities. Acts of war, hostilities, terrorism, riots, insurrection, civil disorder, and civil unrest.
- Natural disasters. Natural disasters, acts of God, large-scale outages of essential utilities, and other severe and abnormal weather events. This does not include weather or natural conditions that are common enough to be foreseeable in that location—for example, tornadoes during tornado season, hurricanes occurring during hurricane season.
- RV damage - Your RV has suffered severe damage that makes it unsafe or uninhabitable for renters. Examples include plumbing not functioning, gas leaks, etc. You'll need to provide the following supporting documentation:
- A description of the damage or malfunctioning area
- An insurance claim or an estimate from a repair company
- The length of time the RV will be uninhabitable
- Whether the damage was claimed on an RVshare booking
- I have reason to believe the renter will throw an unauthorized party
- The renter makes it clear that they are bringing more people than the owner RV rule allows
- Email or text correspondence with the renter indicating they intend to throw an unauthorized party
- I have reason to believe the renter will break one of my owner rules - A renter has violated or says they cannot follow your Owner Rules and will not request a cancellation themselves. Owner Rules must be set up on your listing under Rules & policies to be eligible and must have been agreed to by the renter at time of booking. You are required to provide the following supporting documentation:
- Screenshot from the Reservation Details section in Reservation Manager that shows the Owner Rules the renter agreed to at time of booking.
- Email or text correspondence with the renter indicating they cannot follow or have already violated your Owner Rules
- Keep your communication with renters on platform to make it easy for you to provide the necessary supporting documentation
When cancellations do not meet policy. Examples of situations that this Policy does not allow cancellations for include: cancelling on behalf of the renter; unexpected disease, illness, or injury; government obligations like jury duty or court appearances; travel advisories or other government guidance (that fall short of a travel ban or prohibition); cancellation or rescheduling of an event for which the reservation was made; and transportation disruptions unrelated to a covered event like road closures, as well as flight, train, bus and ferry cancellations.
If an owner cancels a reservation, the following consequences could apply as described below. If an owner cannot fulfill a reservation for any reason, it is their responsibility (and not the renter's) to cancel in a timely manner to allow their renter to adjust their plans.
- RVshare reserves the right to review accounts of Owners with a material number of cancellations which could result in account suspension or deactivation of your listing.
- RVshare will continue to evolve the website to drive fewer cancellations. This includes building features that inform renters of owners that cancel often, best match renters with RVs that best meet their needs, and penalizing for cancellations that are not considered an extenuating circumstances or do not fall under the exception category.
What to do next
You’ll be able to cancel reservations online penalty-free 3 times in one year for these reasons. Otherwise, owner cancellation penalties will apply.
When canceling a reservation and confirming that this Policy applies to your reservation, please follow the instructions that we provide. If you believe this Policy applies to your reservation, please complete the submission form for the cancellation so that your reservation can be reviewed and any impact “waived” if deemed appropriate. In all cases, you should be prepared to provide documentation that shows how the circumstance has impacted you or your reservation.