The New Jersey State Fair occurs annually, and it has offered summertime fun for more than 40 years. In 1999, the Sussex County Horse Show became part of the events held at the state fair. The fairgrounds contain 15 permanent buildings, including six livestock barns and pavilions, a conservatory, a greenhouse, and a 10,000-square-foot exhibition building. The fair offers many opportunities to buy fresh produce and see thrilling shows, including the horse show that has been named one of the best in the United States for the ethical way it is managed.
Each day at the fair promises to be different than any other day, so you need to come prepared to stay the entire fair. You can expect to see rabbits, cattle, sheep, goats, cats, and dairy cows shown by youth and adults. You can also expect to hear a variety of great musical acts under a large tent. Family entertainment options will be plentiful, and no one will want to miss the opportunity to enjoy the rides at the carnival. There will be many diverse opportunities to learn about the history of agriculture in New Jersey along with hearing about the latest agricultural products for the state's farmers and backyard gardeners. Of course, you will want to dine on your favorite fair foods and try new ones. You and your family can even compete in competitive cooking contests.
Fair Attractions - click below for more information
The New Jersey State Fair address is:
37 Plains Road
Augusta, NJ 07822
A great way to experience all that the New Jersey State Fair has to offer is to stay in an RV like those available on RVshare. You can rent an RV if you do not have your own, making this a viable option for everyone. There are several campgrounds within a 30-minute drive of the fairgrounds, but none are located directly at the New Jersey State Fair.
Campground choices near the fairgrounds include:
• Kymer's Camping Resort - Located in Birchville, NJ, this campground is about 6 miles from the fairgrounds. This 200-acre option offers RV parking along with luxury tent camping and cabins.
• Harmony Ridge Farms and Campground - Located in Branchville, NJ, this campground is about 6 miles from the fairgrounds. The 160-acre campground features more than 200 sites.
• The Great Divide - Located in Newton, NJ, this campground is about 7 miles from the fairgrounds. This campground in rural Sussex County offers 270 sites.
• Pleasant Acres Farm Resort - Located in Sussex, NJ, this campground is about 14 miles from the fairgrounds. This 75-spot campground also offers park cabins as a camping option.
• Panther Lake Campground - Located in Andover, NJ, this campground is about 13 miles from the fairgrounds. This lakeside campground is spread across 50 acres.
If you prefer to stay in a hotel, there are several accommodations that are preferred sponsors of the fair, including:
• Holiday Inn Express - Located in Newton, NJ, Holiday Inn Express is about 5 miles south of the fairgrounds. This budget-friendly hotel offers 79 rooms and suites.
• Courtyard Marriott, Rockaway, Mt. Arlington - Located in Mt. Arlington, NJ, this hotel is about 21 miles south of the fairgrounds. This business-class hotel offers rooms and suites.
• TownePlace Suites - Located in Rockaway, NJ, this hotel is about 18 miles south of the fairgrounds. The all-suite hotel offers an indoor swimming pool.
There are several RV-friendly routes to the New Jersey State Fair. If you are coming in on Route 84, take the Milford exit, which puts you on Route 6. Continue on Route 6 until you find Route 209. Cross the bridge, and get on Route 206. Continue south for about 10 miles until you reach Panther Road. Turn left and continue until you reach the fairgrounds.
If you are coming in on Route 80, take exit 34B, which puts you on Route 15 North. Once you reach Route 206, turn north and continue 1 mile to Panther Road. Turn right at the light.
If you are coming in on Route 23, then continue until you reach Route 639. Continue on it until you reach Route 565. Turn right on Plains Road and continue until you reach the fairgrounds.
There is a dedicated parking lot on the north side of the fairgrounds for RVs and trailers. Turn north from Plains Road until you get to McDonald Road. The entrance to this parking lot is Gate 3, which is located just northwest of the carnival area.
There are many different types of tickets available for the fair, and prices vary depending on the date and packages included. You can buy your tickets online or at the gate. Make sure to consider whether you want tickets to the carnival, the demolition derby, and the monster truck show. The fair has special discounts for military members and seniors as well as those who enter the fair only in the evening.
If you go camping in an RV while attending the New Jersey State Fair, send in your photos so everyone can share in your experiences. Send your photos to [email protected] for a chance to be featured on the RVshare blog.
Check out @The Fairgrounds on Twitter and The Sussex County Fairgrounds on Facebook for event updates!
Please note, this is not the official source of the event information. While we try to be as comprehensive as possible, some details may have changed since the time this article was written. Please confirm final details with the official event page.