Plumas National Forest lies on more than 1 million acres near the northern end of the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California. The area started as the Plumas Forest Reserve in 1905, but it didn't take long to be transferred to the U.S. Forest Service a year later. Now 85% of Plumas National Forest sits in Plumas County, with the remaining 15% split among eastern Butte, northern Sierra, southern, Lassen, and northeast Yuba counties. Hiking enthusiasts will be in for a treat, as Plumas National Forest offers more than 10 trails to discover. With swimming, fishing, boating, and nature-watching, there is something for everyone here.
This short trail weaves through beautiful azure waters and red fir forests. You can view aspens and all kinds of wildflowers, along with a rocky stairway called the Stairway to Heaven. Hiking of all kinds is popular here, whether it's hiking on foot or horseback trail riding.
Length: 3.7 miles
Intensity: Easy to Moderate
If you are looking to test yourself, Indian Springs Trail might be just for you. As you pick your way across a rugged landscape of rocks and trees, you will be rewarded with a great view of the Feather River Canyon and the peaks of the Bucks Lake Wilderness in the distance. Just be sure to pack the appropriate shoes and equipment.
Length: 6 miles
This pleasant trail boasts massive groves of Jeffrey pine trees. Roaming among the trunks are animals like black bears, mountain lions, mule deer, and more. This trail is great for all ages but beware of a few steep slopes.
Length: 1.25 miles
This trail takes you around the beautiful Long Lake and through large pine forests. It is well-trafficked, but the boulder-strewn paths create some difficulty. As much of the path goes downhill, be sure to pack some good hiking boots to make your journey slightly easier.
Length: 4.7 miles
This trail is great for hikers of any skill level. In addition to having the opportunity to view the awesome Frazier Falls, you will find yourself surrounded by a crown of mountain peaks. It is a popular place for nature trips and bird-watching. The trail is paved and flat, so you can take your time absorbing the wonderful sights.
Length: 1.1 miles
This trail is great for the solitary hiker. This lightly-trafficked trail takes you through thick forests and offers awesome views of the nearby mountains. Wildflowers of all kinds make their homes here. However, if you want to see Gray Eagle Creek, you will have to venture a little way off the beaten path.
Length: 6.7 miles
This lengthy trail is a great opportunity for adventurers and photographers. Parts of the trail take you along a steep-edged path that leads down to a river. You will cross a wooden bridge and find yourself in thick green forests. Wooded hills loom over most of the trail, providing some shade to keep you cool.
Length: 11 miles
Anglers can find plenty to catch at Crystal Point Fishing Access, Strawberry Campground, and Round Valley Reservoir. The reservoir is great for fishing for bluegill.
For stargazing, head to Black Mountain Lookout. On dark evenings, you'll have no trouble spotting constellations with the minimal light pollution the park offers.
Address: 122 Hot Springs Rd, Greenville, CA 95947
Fee: Entry fee (per person) $5
RVing is a fantastic way to go out and see the country, including places like Plumas National Forest. Lose yourself in more than a million acres of mountains, rivers, and woodlands. Visit a nearby museum or state park, or just take a relaxing trip to some beautiful vistas. The possibilities are endless. With an RV to go back to at the end of the day, this is easier and more enjoyable than ever.