Are you interested in an affordable, lightweight, and convenient alternative to a camping tent? A custom built teardrop trailer may be just what you need. Let’s look at some of the benefits of a teardrop trailer:
- Light weight which makes them easy to tow and fuel efficient
- Inexpensive to build
- Small size is perfect for remote roads
- Can be pulled by 4-cylinder cars
- Big enough to sleep two people
- Offer more protection from the elements than tent camping
- Saves you time when you are camping because set-up is a breeze!
Teardrop trailers are one of the easiest types of camping builders for the DIY camper to tackle. Yvonne built her own lightweight teardrop trailer camper and then sold it on Craig’s List. She made a skeleton from 2” x 4” aluminum studs and placed it on top of a 5.5″ x 8″ trailer. Yvonne added 2-inch duct line insulation to the ceilings, and used EPDM on the floor and the roof to make the trailer watertight.
Here are a few of the features inside this custom teardrop:
- 900 lb. weight, with a tongue weight of approximately 100 pounds
- 2” hitch on the front for towing
- 1/4” wood paneling exterior siding
- Steel tubing frame
- Eight 35 amp batteries
- LED strip lighting in the interior
- Wood laminate interior siding
- Full-sized 4” memory foam mattress for extra comfort
- Galley kitchen
- Flat screen television
It didn’t take long for this special homemade trailer to sell to a lucky buyer. But, who knows, maybe Yvonne will build another one!
The Bottom Line
These lightweight teardrop trailers help keep camping simple while providing a huge upgrade from tent camping. As with their small size they are easy to tow. Some are even small enough to be towed by motorcycles! A teardrop trailer is an excellent choice for campers on the move. These affordable little gems are great on gas, easy to store, and offer convenience and fun.
What do you think? Would you build your own teardrop trailer? Let us know in the comments below.
For more photos of the build visit: Do It Yourself RV